Mission of God in the Old Testament
24 Oct, 2015, Sat, 8.30am-12 noon
& 25 Oct, 2015, Sun, 1.30pm-5.00pm
Instructor: Rev Dr Paul Barker
Address: 2, Jalan 13/1, Seksyen 13,
46200 Petaling Jaya
- to explore the theme of evangelistic mission in the Old Testament
- to understand the meta-narrative of the Old Testament and how that intersects with mission
- to understand the plan and purpose of God from the beginning for mission
- to encourage interaction, the exchange of viewpoints and ideas
- to be strengthened in our commitment from scripture for mission to the nations
Session 1: Introduction
- Issues in the Bible and mission?
- Where is mission in OT?
- What is mission?
Session 2: The Bible’s Big Picture and the OT place in it
- Methodology of reading the Bible
- The Bible’s big story
- Relationship of OT to NT
Session 3: Where does Mission begin?
Session 4: Exodus, Law and Nation
- Exodus redemption: why?
- Law and mission
- Examples from the Narrative of Israel’s History
Session 5: Jerusalem & OT future hope
- Solomon’s Temple and Sheba: Highpoint of OT
- Eschatological role of Jerusalem
Session 6: Did Israel have a Missionary Calling?
- The Servant of the Lord
Session 7: Psalms, Paul and OT Mission
- Nations in the Psalms
- Old Testament background to Paul’s Mission
Session 8: Putting it together
- Discussion of Scobie’s article
- The trajectory of Abrahamic promise
- Concluding remarks
Write a 3,000-word essay on one of the following topics (or a topic of your choice in agreement with the lecturer).
- Discuss the validity of reading the Bible through a missiological hermeneutic.
- How does a biblical theology help understand the centrality of mission in scripture?
- In what way does the Book of Jonah contribute to our understanding of God’s Mission in the Old Testament?
- What is the role of the promises of God to Abraham in Genesis for understanding the theme and place of mission in the Old Testament in general?
About the Instructor:
Rev Dr Paul Barker is Regional Coordinator for Langham Preaching and Langham Scholar Care, Asia; Adjunct Professor of Old Testament, Myanmar Evangelical Graduate School of Theology; and Visiting Scholar in Old Testament, Seminari Theoloji Malaysia