Mission of God in the Old Testament
24 Oct, 2015, Sat, 8.30am-12 noon
& 25 Oct, 2015, Sun, 1.30pm-5.00pm
Instructor: Rev Dr Paul Barker
Address: 2, Jalan 13/1, Seksyen 13,
46200 Petaling Jaya
- to explore the theme of evangelistic mission in the Old Testament
- to understand the meta-narrative of the Old Testament and how that intersects with mission
- to understand the plan and purpose of God from the beginning for mission
- to encourage interaction, the exchange of viewpoints and ideas
- to be strengthened in our commitment from scripture for mission to the nations
Session 1: Introduction
- Issues in the Bible and mission?
- Where is mission in OT?
- What is mission?
Session 2: The Bible’s Big Picture and the OT place in it
- Methodology of reading the Bible
- The Bible’s big story
- Relationship of OT to NT
Session 3: Where does Mission begin?
Session 4: Exodus, Law and Nation
- Exodus redemption: why?
- Law and mission
- Examples from the Narrative of Israel’s History
Session 5: Jerusalem & OT future hope
- Solomon’s Temple and Sheba: Highpoint of OT
- Eschatological role of Jerusalem
Session 6: Did Israel have a Missionary Calling?
- The Servant of the Lord
Session 7: Psalms, Paul and OT Mission
- Nations in the Psalms
- Old Testament background to Paul’s Mission
Session 8: Putting it together
- Discussion of Scobie’s article
- The trajectory of Abrahamic promise
- Concluding remarks
Write a 3,000-word essay on one of the following topics (or a topic of your choice in agreement with the lecturer).
- Discuss the validity of reading the Bible through a missiological hermeneutic.
- How does a biblical theology help understand the centrality of mission in scripture?
- In what way does the Book of Jonah contribute to our understanding of God’s Mission in the Old Testament?
- What is the role of the promises of God to Abraham in Genesis for understanding the theme and place of mission in the Old Testament in general?
Payment could be made on the day of seminar.
Email above or call 011 1424 8475 or 03 2714 5325 for enquiries.
About the Instructor:
Rev Dr Paul Barker is Regional Coordinator for Langham Preaching and Langham Scholar Care, Asia; Adjunct Professor of Old Testament, Myanmar Evangelical Graduate School of Theology; and Visiting Scholar in Old Testament, Seminari Theoloji Malaysia